Monday, July 30, 2012

What are you going to do with your life?

The other day when I was in Church I was talking to a lady, she asked me what I was studying, so I told her I do a double major, studying Theatre and design media.
And I got the usual "Oh..but..where will that take you etc etc etc...." question.
So I said, I want to be a drama teacher or maybe a director..I'm not too sure yet.
Thankfully, she then said that she feels speech and drama is a real asset to children, specially pre-teens because that's when they need confidence the most.

YES!!! THANK YOU!
I then told her how a paper I am currently doing at University is all about theatre for schools and communities, and how that people think drama is useless in schools, but we are learning about all the bennifeits that is has to children and teenagers.

I usually get really angry later on when people ask me what I want to do with my degree, because it's the way they look at me, and that tone that they have in their voice.
My theatre paper I am doing this semester is really inspiring in the fact that, it's teaching us great techniques we can use for teaching drama, but also, our lecturer isn't sugar coating things. He is warning us about the backlash drama has in schools.
But right now I don't care, because all I want to do is get this degree done, and see what I can do with it once I've finished.
I know it will be hard but I will just keep looking, keep hoping and keep on inspiring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment